The Reception day is from 8.55 – 3.05pm
There are three full time Reception teachers:
Mrs Stephenson is the Early Years Lead and part of the senior leadership team. She has been teaching for 15 years and has a wealth of experience from Nursery to Year 4. Each teacher has a full time Teaching Assistant.
Mrs L Horn
Ms V Dobson
Miss E Riley
Mrs L Gray
Miss L Masters
Mrs E Wright
A Typical Day
- 8.45: Doors open
- 8.55: Children self register and enjoy a range of child initiated learning activities.
- 9.30: Register and Welcome. Children learn to problem solve in practical contexts through counting dinners and sandwiches, children who are present or absent and learning days and months.
- 9.35: Whole class Phonics lesson. Children are taught three sounds per week through interactive learning using songs and actions, magnetic letters and individual whiteboards.
- 9.55 - 10.10: Whole class snack time. A chance to teach good manners and to catch up with children’s news.
- 10.15 - 11.15: Child initiated and adult led activities inside and outside. Focussed phonics activities in small teacher led groups.
- 11.20: Whole class maths time. Children are taught counting, making sets, shape, space and measure and problem solving through practical activities
- 11.45 - 1.00pm: Lunch Time.
- 1.05 - 1.15pm: ‘Five a Day’. A fun, five minute routine which encourages fitness, focus and learning.
- 1.15 - 1.30pm: Whole class topic teaching time. Children are taught a wide range of topics throughout the year. The topic sessions are usually taught through the use of story or interactive whiteboard resources.
- 1.30 - 2.45: Child initiated and adult led activities inside and outside. Focussed topic activities in small teacher led groups.
- 2.45 - 3.05pm: Story time.
During the summer term we prepare children for Year One by introducing more formal teaching approaches including Guided Reading, which we lead on a daily basis. We have five ability based groups. They complete a carousel of activities throughout the week which include: a Guided Reading session led by the class teacher; a guided writing session led by the TA; a free writing activity linked to the topic/book; a phonics game and a free reading activity.
We also introduce whole class formal handwriting sessions three times a week so that all children are used to sitting and working at a table.
The children also attend a weekly celebration assembly throughout the year, so they are also used to the behaviour required at assembly time.
The children’s uniform is the same as the rest of the school. A uniform list is available here »
Learn more about: Early Years Foundation Stage »